Hi all in the Senior Singing Strings-
I know yesterday was a really fun snow day but that was going to be some great rehearsal time for us as well, so I’m trying to see if I can coordinate all of you into coming for some extra run throughs with the choir, and the choir director and then have some time for our stuff as well. Here is what I am thinking:
Saturday, December 7th: (Park Royal United Church) ***NB: Senior Singing Strings only ***
2:30pm Rehearsal with Margot, the conductor of the Summerside Community Choir (before the choir arrives)
3:00pm Rehearsal with Margo & the Summerside Community Choir
4:00pm Senior Singing Strings rehearsal in the parlour of Park Royal
5:00pm I will order pizza for those who are interested (let me know!)
7:00pm Concert starts
Please let me know whether you are able or unable to make the schedule above – I know it’s a huge commitment and a large portion of your Saturday, but I really hope you can all make it! If not enough people can come, we may have to rearrange things.
In your practicing in the next few days, please have a look at the following sections:
Down in Yon Forest:
– 1st Violins – 11-28, 52-67 – Solo at 69 will be played by Rachel 🙂
– 2nd Violins – check where your harmonics are & carefully mark E naturals vs E flats throughout this piece! And practice your big moment at bar 77 to the end.
– Violas – all those melody bits (bar 3-9, 20-26, 28-35, 52-67) – solo at bar 11 will be played by Aaron
– Cellos – melody line bar 40-52 as well as the shifting bit from 28-39
– 1st Violins – careful intonation check for the first 8 bars as well as at bars 27/69. Outside people playing bar 55 and bar 83 make sure you can play this accurately, energetically and fast enough!
– 2nd Violins – careful intonation check for the first 8 bars as well as at bars 69-73. Be sure you can play the passage at bar 11 (and whenever else it comes) with enough energy and speed and in the right part of the bow!
– Violas – intonation check of the first 8 bars as well as bar 27-31. Careful practice of bar 69-73 as you are the melody!
– Cellos – intonation check of the first 8 bars as well as the last 4 bars. Careful practice of bar 27-31, bar 45-53, bar 73-80
Still, Still, Still
Everyone can carefully check their intonation through here, mark the sharps and ensure you are accurately playing them! Work on playing the melodies (first violins at the opening as well as bar 5 and 32, cellos at bar 18) with vibrato and singing tone, ensure that you have well sustained slurs and direction to your phrases! **2nd Violins – check out bar 1-4 and 47-55 for intonation. No G#s!!!
Journey of the Magi
This requires careful counting from everyone – especially cellos and violas in that repeated figure at bar 7. Make sure you know when you change into the next different passage! Everyone carefully mark the flats in this piece to ensure we have really accurate intonation. Work on lots of dynamics and sing out the We Three Kings melody! **2nd Violins carefully practice the section from bar 47-60 as those are important passages!
And of course there is the music with the choir too. Lots to do!
Looking forward to this – let me know about Saturday’s schedule, please, and whether you can make it to the proposed schedule.